Saturday, April 5, 2008

Forced Guardianship

Because of a forced guardianship, my mother had to spend over four years in nursing homes against her will. It didn’t matter to the judge that Mom wanted to live with me. It didn’t matter that she was terrified and abused while in the nursing home. And it doesn’t matter now to the judge that my Mom needlessly suffered total loss of her sight due to nursing home neglect, among other atrocities.

She begged me to take her home but I was powerless to do so. The judge appointed my brother, an attorney apparently still in "good standing" although on psychiatric disability for at least 10 years, as guardian of the property. His illness and irrational behavior plagued my efforts to free Mom because the judge favored my brother over our mother’s best interest. And my Mother suffered for it.

The person the judge was supposed to be protecting was my Mother, not my brother.
Estela Torrent, Victim in Miami, Florida

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And they say they're operating in the "Best intersts of the word" Sure!

Anonymous said...

That makes me angry when the abused are being just that abused,well if the justice system doesnt want to do anything to stop it then we as a people have the right to do something like run away far away though we havent done anything wrong to deserve this crap grrrrrr all they seem to care about is money why dont they get a friggen regular job !!!!! and leave these people alone the justice system or should I say the unjustice system is killing these people and what is being done about it ? whataction needs to now come cuz just talking about it wont put an end to it.

Anonymous said...

And ask yourself this question what if this was to happen to me? how would you feel? we as a people need to really ban together and demand in front of the board that this scam be stopped asap because its not benefitting anyone but those abusersand we as a people deserve better.