Friday, May 8, 2009

Baffled by Judge's Actions

"I'm shaken up -- to say the least."

On April 22, Nancy Murphy was in Associate Judge Mark Lopez's courtroom in the Daley Center, representing a client seeking back child support payments. After the hearing ended for the day, Murphy filled out a form for Lopez to sign that stated the case was to be rescheduled for July 9, Murphy said.

Lopez took the document into his chambers and then came out again, Murphy said.

Murphy recalled: "He started saying something about the document. I was walking toward him, and he told the sheriff to take me into custody. ... I was handcuffed."

Lopez never offered a hint that he was angry with Murphy, and he hadn't previously threatened to lock her up, she said. In his order, Lopez wrote he was holding Murphy in "direct civil contempt" for "ignoring this court['s] direct instruction" about what to include in her document.

Full Article and Source:
Why did Judge Mark Lopez have lawyer Nancy Murphy hauled off to jail?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely outrageous. The judge should be disbarred. It's that simple.

Anonymous said...

Judge Mark Lopez sounds like a power hungry egomaniac.

We don't need his kind on the bench.

"Justice" has a bad enough name as it is.

Anonymous said...

Sadly, Judge Mark Lopez probably thinks he's a big man. The public sees differently. He's a bully and an embarrassment to the judiciary.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to Crook County Illinois.

This case of abuse of judicial power has been in our news, lately.

I have to admit I found this news story on TV absolutely hilarious, much humor in this for me - oh, the horror of it all!!!

These shocked people, including lawyers, with their eyes wide open like deer in the headlights, should read NASGA website and blog and sit in on guardianship cases for a preview of abuse of judicial powers gone haywire.

People are stunned to discover we have a nutcase ("a" nutcase?) on the bench.

Judge Mark Lopez and how many others need to be removed from the bench post haste.

Anonymous said...

I hope Lopez's collegues ridicule him as a result of the publicity attached to this case.

He should have been the one handcuffed.

Anonymous said...

Judges just love to show off, don't they?

Anonymous said...

My case was infront of Mark Lopez. My x filed a motion to for our children's expences. He looked at her reciepts, but when I tried to showreciepts of expences I incured,
he would not look at them. Justice?,, not Mark Lopezes court room. I also filed a motion to prevent my x from taking our three young children to Nigeria for 21 days. At the time, There were travel wornings from the US state department, for us citizens to not travel to Nigeria, due to civil unrest and the threat of civil war as gas subsidies were being removed throughout Nigeria. Mark Lopez ignored the state department's wornings and let my kids go to Nigeria. My x's family hit my children. testimony was given by a teacher of 35 years. Mark Lopez aproved my children going to Nigeria with people who hit my children. My childred were stranded in Nigeria, January 2012 because all airports were closed. and there was Violance in the streets, looting and shootings. Mark Lopez stads directly against what is good , safe, and just for children and families.