Friday, January 1, 2010

Poem by Sol Ehrlich

God, keep me working, keep me fit
At windows I don't want to sit
Watching my fellows hurrying by:
Let me stay busy 'til I die.

Grant me the strength, breath and will,
Some useful niche in life to fill,
A need to serve, a task to do:
Let me each morning arise anew.
Eager and glad that I can bear
My portion of the morning's care.

God, I don't want to sit about,
Broken and tired and all worn out.
Afraid of wind and rain and cold,
Let me stay busy when I am old.

Although I walk with slower pace,
Still let me meet life face to face.
This is my prayer as time goes by:
God keep me busy 'til I die.

Source:
Final Report of the Dade County Grand Jury, See page 21

3 comments:

Betty said...

Very nice poem.

jerri said...

thanks nasga very appropriate words to begin a new year think about our present our future and the concerns of others knowing they are in their last phase of life

Thelma said...

I've seen that before somewhere.
It was really nice.