Monday, February 14, 2011

Sen. Al Franken's Staff Meets With Elders on Issues Facing Seniors

In January the staff from Senator Al Franken's (D-MN) office came to the Minneapolis American Indian Center (MAIC) to ask Native American elders about the problems they face in their senior years and gather information that will be used in the Senate this upcoming year to reauthorize the Older Americans Act, an act passed in 1965 in response to a lack of community-based social services for older Americans.

Senator Franken serves on the Senate Special Committee on Aging as well as the Subcommittee on Retirement and Aging in Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions.

Full Areticle and Source:
Franken's Staff Meets with Elders on Issues Facing Seniors

3 comments:

Connie said...

I am glad to see Franken involved.

I believe Indians have their own guardianship laws and I bet the laws are as loose as ours and they suffer the same problems.

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize that, Connie. Interesting. And you're right, I bet they suffer the same as everyone else.

Tom said...

I hope Senator Franken listened to these people.