Wednesday, November 30, 2011

When Family Abets the Heartbreak of Guardian Abuse

Since both of Diane’s parents felt that out of their three children, she was the only one they could trust to give power of attorney, healthcare proxy and ultimately the executrix position, automatically one would have to assume that the eldest and youngest sibling did not warrant that respect. While I have had to write the previous articles based on witness statements, court transcripts, e-mails and comments to my writings, much of the information had been given to me by Diane. Until I started researching what she was telling me, I had to trust that everything she told me contained no falsehoods, regardless of how unbelievable some of what she shared was. While I never had reason to doubt her, seeing things in written words only validated her truthful demeanor and approach. It is remarkable to see that family members who are supposed to love their mother could team up with a seemingly corrupt judge, law guardian, healthcare manager and even Dorothy’s court appointed attorney to propagate, extend and expand the abuse.

What should have been a simple project and favor for Diane, turned into a wasted day of everyone’s time. While my friend and I were in the basement trying to figure out the easiest way to hoist a very heavy piece of exercise equipment up a tight flight of stairs, Diane’s brother stormed into the house. To ask for simple pleasantries was immediately out of the picture, as his attitude was as nasty and narrow-minded as some of the e-mails and comments he had sent me. I said hello to him when he came downstairs, and he started asking what we were doing, even though he had already been told upstairs. I have learned that the best way to see the true demeanor of a person is to let them speak. Virtually every word that came out of his mouth was either antagonistic or a straight out lie.

My intention had been to keep Diane’s siblings out of any further articles, but after this incident they both earned their way back in. Law guardian abuse cases are difficult enough. Judges will seize on family dissension as an excuse to wrestle control away from the person who should be the rightful guardian. When you have someone like the brother in this case, then it becomes even more difficult because they will align themselves with the corruption, rather than with what should be done in the best interests of the person put into guardianship.

Full Article and Source:
When Family Abets the Heartbreak of Guardian Abuse

6 comments:

StandUp said...

Families fight - it's what they do. Judges have to get in the middle nad solve these arguments or make it clear that if the family does not resolve, then what comes next is guardianship and what that means.

Anonymous said...

"Team up with a seemingly corrupt judge," yep, that's how it works.

Then the insiders, and all the people who parrot what they are told, can say there is no corruption, it's just a "family problem."

My family didn't have a problem until the court created one. I helped my mother for five years, with no legal papers. No one else was interested in her. Then my father passed away, and the vultures descended. It's amazing how much my sister, who teamed up with the crooks, suddenly cared about my mother when there was money to steal.

Anonymous said...

Praying for you, Diane.

Tom said...

It's all about money, Anon 1, either family thives trying to get to it or professional "for profit" guardians.

Meanwhile, the wards suffer and judges don't hear their pleas for help.

Betty said...

You're a good daughter, Diane. You never gave up fighting for your Mom and I know you won't give up on the cause either.

Erin said...

I am sorry how this turned out. You were close to winning your Mom's freedom, Diane. I know she knows that and is proud of you.