Sunday, August 26, 2012

The Forgotten Ones - Compassion for the Elderly

“I am so lonely at night. I have no one to talk to from the time I get home at 3.30 pm until I go out again the next day at 10.00 am. The dark makes me sad.”

“My dog is my only company and he’s getting old and his hips are very sore. I might have to have him put down. I am scared of being without him. I will be totally alone then.”

“No one comes to visit me. My daughter only calls me if she wants money.”

“I haven’t spoken to anyone for three days.”


These are real words spoken by real elderly people I have spokento in the past week. They make me cry. They make me scared to get old.

It seems the older a person becomes the less visible they are.

They are no longer deemed important once their bodies and minds start to fail and it appears they no longer have anything offer the mainstream world.

I know I am generalising because I do know many people who love and cherish their older relatives and take extremely good care of them, however I do know that too many people don’t.

I spend a lot of time with elderly people due to the care I provide for my Mother in Law each week and regular visits with her 70 year old brother and cousin. The more time I spend with them the more I realise that, whilst their bodies are frail and their minds are failing them, inside is still a human being who hasn’t forgotten what it is like to love, laugh and cry. Sadly many of them have more cause to cry than they have to love and laugh.

In previous times our elderly were also better taken care of. Families seemed to have more time to spend with their parents and grandparents. Family outings included all generations. In many cases up to three generations lived in the same home. The elderly were called upon to impart advice, provide assistance with rearing of children, help with cooking and mending. They were included. They had a purpose. They weren’t discarded.

A conversation with an elderly person is something special. They know about things we couldn’t even imagine.

So next time you see your granny or grandpa or the old lady next door, sit down with them and really talk to them. You will be surprised how long it’s been since someone really wanted to talk to them about them and their life and what matters to them.

Also, do you have any elderly people in your street? Do you know them? Do you know their names? Do they have regular visits from family and friends? Do you not have any idea? So many elderly people live alone without regular visits from family and friends. Most often the only person they see each day is the Meals on Wheels volunteer. Next time you see an elderly person, smile and say hello. Help them if they are struggling. You could be the only person they have spoken to all day. You will most likely make their day.

* Please volunteer to visit the lonely and forgotten elderly. ♥




Source:
The Forgotten Ones: Compassion for the Elderly

5 comments:

Jessica said...

I love these gentle reminders.

Thelma said...

I never thought I would get old.

StandUp said...

Well named. The elderly are forgotten and pushed aside in today's society.

Luis said...

Congress promised to take care of the elderly. What happened?

Anonymous said...

The elders are mainly ignored in this country.. I am 86 and live with my dog.No family. I have neighbors, but all are too busy to even make a phone call, to see if I am alright. I miss the days, when friends would visit on Sundays for coffee and just visit. That was in another world.