Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Linda Kincaid Reports: Guardianship in DC is all about the money

Ninety-one year old Jenny Horace is the face of "guardianship" in Washington, DC. Jenny is not allowed to see her daughter. She is held prisoner in her own home. Her refrigerator is kept locked, and she is only allowed to eat at the convenience of her "guardian.". Jenny's daughter Laura Francois-Eugene contributed the following comments.
It's all about the money!

My 91-year-old mother, Jenny Horace, has been in decline for the past few years. Hence, my daily habit of visiting her home in Washington, DC after I get off work at 4:30 p.m. I often put in 10- or 12-hour days as a Program Manager for the federal government, and wouldn’t mind going straight home at the end of my shift. But I like to check-in on my mother first, and make sure she has enough food on hand, and tend to anything else she may need.

Usually these visits are a matter of routine. I have a key to the front door, let myself in and typically find her in the kitchen eating a light dinner she’s prepared, or snoozing in the glare of her living room TV set, or perhaps even in bed.

But the evening of Thursday, April 26, 2012 was different. Significantly, upsettingly different.

I arrived shortly after dusk at 6 p.m., parked on the street in front of my mother’s home, strode up the short walkway to the front door and slipped my key into the lock. But the door did not open.

Strange. It opened just fine exactly 24 hours earlier at the time of my prior visit. But it failed to open on this occasion because between then and now, a court-appointed conservator – a person my mother had never met nor approved, yet who’d been given complete legal power, authority and control over my mother’s life, medical care and financial assets – had the locks changed on the home in an attempt to bar my mom from seeing me.

The conservator’s name is Christina Forbes, a local D.C. attorney.

Full Article & Source:
Guardianship in DC is all about the money

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

It just does not make sense, that a stranger can enter an elder persons home and invade her privacy. Attorney or no attorney. Neither has a judge the legal authority to sign an order, depriving the elder of her civil rights without a hearing or cause? What is wrong with the judiciary, and why is no one stopping this

Unknown said...

You got that right and it is not just in DC.

Thelma said...

No, it's not just D.C. It's become an epidemic of greed all across the country.

StandUp said...

Yep it'a all about the money every time.

Anonymous said...

USA sounds like a 3rd world underdeveloped country allowing and enabling lawlesness to escalate. Each article is worse than the one before and we better get ready because our kids will be reading our stories on NASGA blog and website unless this barbaric caveman existence comes to a screeching halt. Now how to do that when many elected ones are funded by the very people who are profiting from barbaric unlawful behavior under color of law?

Why would the elected privileged ones want to cut off the hands that feed them? Follow the $ and the votes that is a big part of the problem the walls of protection are thick with muck.

Mike said...

You nailed it, Anonymous!

lUIS said...

Rememver VEBO?

VOTE EVERY BUM OUT!

Nancy said...

I am sorry for what they are doing to your Mother and I hope you are able to get help for her.

Diana said...

I am sorry, Laura.

FiduciaryWatch said...

Fiduciary, Guardianship, Conservatorship, and Trustee financial abuse, with the Courts turning a blind eye is all across the county and epidemic.

Cheryll said...

I will pray for you and your mother, Laura.