Sunday, May 26, 2013

In Memoriam and Inspiration: 'She Worked Past Age 100, Inspired Many More'

In 40 years of interviews as a journalist, I've never met anyone quite like Hedda Bolgar.

The pioneering psychoanalyst, who attended lectures by  Sigmund Freud as a young woman and fled Vienna for the United States when the Third Reich entered Austria, was teaching and seeing patients at the age of 99 when she told me:"I'm so far behind, I can never die."

Three years later, the Brentwood resident was still a working therapist at age 102, when she received an Outstanding Oldest Worker Award in the nation's capital. When I called to congratulate her, she talked about a lecture she was preparing, among other projects she was juggling.

Several of the therapist's friends contacted me Monday[May 13] with the news that Bolgar, who once told me she didn't fear death but didn't want it to be too "undignified or painful," died peacefully [that] morning in the home where she dazzled me with her intellect, spunk and grace.

"It's probably not a coincidence that she held on to life until Mother's Day, as she was indeed the mother of a generation of psychologists, psychoanalysts, and an entire community of mental health workers and patients," said Janet Woznica, a longtime friend and director of the Los Angeles Institute and Society for Psychoanalytic Studies.


Full Article and Source:
Steve Lopez:  She Worked Past Age 100, Inspired Many More

4 comments:

Thelma said...

I'm not fond of shrinks, but that's an amazing woman!

Karen said...

Yes, amazing is the word for it.

Cheryll said...

Wonderful story and inspiration.

Stef said...

God Bless her!