Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Brevard judge tells attorney, 'I'll beat your ass,' allegedly throws punches




BREVARD COUNTY, Fla. — Court deputies had to break up a physical fight between a Brevard County judge and a public defender after an argument during a hearing on Monday.

Judge John Murphy is accused of punching veteran public defender Andrew Weinstock after the two had words during court in which Murphy allegedly pressured Weinstock to get his client to waive his right to a speedy trial.

"You know, if I had a rock I would throw it at you right now," Murphy tells Weinstock. "Stop pissing me off. Just sit down."

"You know I'm the public defender. I have a right to be here and I have a right to stand and represent my client," Weinstock said in the video.

The judge allegedly asked Weinstock to come to the back hallway, an area where there are no cameras, which is where the fight broke out.

"If you want to fight, let's go out back and I'll just beat your ass," Murphy tells Weinstock before the two head out of the courtroom.

Full Article & Source:
Brevard judge tells attorney, 'I'll beat your ass,' allegedly throws punches

6 comments:

Thelma said...

Bye, bye, Judge!

tvfields said...

Judges can be bullies. Those of us who have been bullied by judges rarely if ever get justice. All most of us can do is exhibit our evidence and advocate legal reforms needed to more reliably deter such abuse. Unfortunately, most people, including most other victims, don't really care ...

Anonymous said...

Let's see. Assault. Obstruction of justice. Making terroristic threats. Threaten to harm.

All against a judge. When is the D.A. going to bring these charges?

Will the judge's attorney agree to waive, as he expects public defenders to do?

Because I am a lawyer, I cannot observe what a nutjob this judge is, because that might lessen the public's confidence in the legal profession.

So I won't call him a nutjob. Nope, not me.

Norma said...

How unprofessional and embarrassing. This will be interesting to follow.

Sue said...

I'm confused about this incident with no prior complaints on record that triggered the unusual reaction. If this was a pattern of behavior I would have a very different opinion that it would be time for the judge to step down.

However ---- The judge is a veteran in special forces unit. I am withholding judgment as I've not walked in his shoes.

I wish Judge Murphy the best outcome.

Anonymous said...

Judge John Murphy should be disbarred.